Saturday, 15 March 2014

Take Mum Out by Fiona Gibson


“What do you need a boyfriend for? You’re a mum.”
Fiona Gibson’s eagerly awaited new novel is full of dating disasters. Sharply observed and laugh-out-loud funny, its perfect for fans of Tracy Bloom, Kate Long and Tess Stimson.
Three blind dates
Two teenage boys messing up her plans
And one man who'll melt Alice's heart.
'You need to get back in the saddle…' Alice despises that phrase. She's fine being single – with two slothful teenage boys and a meringue business to run, she has enough on her plate without negotiating the troublesome world of modern dating.
However, Alice's three best friends have other ideas. Each one will present her with an utterly delicious, eligible man – all Alice has to do is pick her favourite.



This must be the month for, " books to make you laugh out loud." I don't think I've ever read so many.
This is the first book by Fiona Gibson that I've read although she has written many and they all look as much fun as her latest is.
Alice has been a single mum of two boys for the past six years after splitting with their feckless father. She works as a school secretary and is now staring a business from home making meringues to sell to shops.
Alice has not really been on the dating scene and after one disastrous date is scared of trying again. She feels even more downhearted when she opens a house magazine to find her ex and his new wife and perfect daughter spread across the pages showing off their beautiful house and talking about their great business. Three of Alice's best friends decide to sort her out and each pick a man for her to date, after all they know her best. Nothing ever goes smooth in the search for true love and Alice has to kiss some toads before she finds her prince, not helped much by her two teenagers Fergus and Logan.

I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. I'm well past the dating stage in life having been married for more years than I can remember and reading about dating can be rather boring. I was wrong, Fiona Gibson drew me into the story and I went on the Alice's dating journey with her. I loved how she threw 
caution to the wind and flew to Paris, what happened to her there would probably been my story too.
 I felt her hurt and anguish when her son wanted to leave home. I hoped that each date might find her the love of her life and was disappointed with her when things didn't go to plan. I rejoiced at a happy ending with a great big grin on my face. I loved reading about Alice and her family and as usual when I enjoy a book I want a sequel, please.

Amazon UK
The Book Depository  paperback free shipping worldwide


Author Fiona Gibson tells us about her favourite place to write



 My Writing Room – Fiona Gibson


My writing room is a tiny box room. Sometimes I love its cosiness, but other times I feel too hemmed in and have to escape to work at the kitchen table. I'd love a bigger room. I had one, until my sons declared they wanted their own bedrooms, which is fair enough, as they're twins. They needed space of their own.

So here I am - in the smallest room in the house, surrounded by books, scribbled notes, dead pens and to do lists. I’m a list fanatic – I have my ‘list book’ about three inches from my elbow at all times, and about 23 other lists on my phone. I do like a few bright, cheery things around me, though – a rubber duck my daughter bought me, a collection of old tin robots, and a crocheted owl a writer pal gave me as a good luck charm. But it’s not terribly pretty in here.
Fiona Gibson

There's a hole in the window (one of my kids threw a stone at it) which my husband Jimmy kindly patched up with a piece of cardboard. It’s one of those ‘menus’ you get in a box of chocolates, telling you what the flavours are. Bet JK Rowling doesn't have that. Music is more important than having beautiful things around me – I hate working in silence. Old soul music (especially northern soul) makes me feel geed up and productive. Or I might listen to Trevor Nelson's soul show on the iPlayer. I also love music which my husband calls 'fey', like Belle and Sebastian. At least in my workroom, I can listen to whatever I want, without fear of ridicule!

Sometimes our rescue dog, Jack, lies at my feet while I’m working. If he’s overdue a walk, he starts nudging my hand away from the mouse with his wet nose. He’ll force me out for a walk, which is probably a good thing. A dog is a great addition if you’re a writer – he reminds me that there’s a world out there and that I need to take a break. On a walk, all those plot conundrums tend to magically untangle. It's like the brain starts working again. 












2 comments:

  1. A lovely combination of review and author profile! I enjoyed this mix and it makes me want to read Fiona's book even more now I know she finds music important while she works and takes the dog out to help with plot solving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Val. I wasn't sure if both would work together but I'm glad you think they did.

    ReplyDelete