Tuesday, 25 February 2014

One Plus One by Jojo Moyes






The One Plus One is the beautiful, poignant and utterly compelling new novel by the internationally bestselling author Jojo Moyes.

Jess Thomas wants . . .

. . . to be more than a single mum getting by day after day

. . . to do her best for her gifted but sensitive daughter Tanzie

. . . to find a way back from the loneliest place on earth
Ed Nicholls is hoping . . .

. . . he won't go to jail

. . . there's a way back from the biggest mistake of his life

. . . something or someone will make it all go away
Jess and Ed are . . .

. . . two strangers looking for a little kindness

. . . two lost souls with a lot to learn from each other

. . . about to find out that one plus one makes more - so much more - than two




Jess and Ed are two people who in the normal course of life would never have came into contact with each other. Jess, a single parent scraping a living cleaning caravans and Ed, a wealthy business man who has problems of his own.
Jess's Daughter Tanzie is gifted in Maths and has been given a chance to sit an exam for a place in a private school but with a father who pays no money to his children's maintenance Jess will never be able to afford the reduced fees.

Ed, after being rude to Jess sees her and her family out walking late at night and stops to see if they need help  but then finds it difficult not to be involved in all Jess's family ups and downs.
 Two adults, two children and a huge dog who farts and slobbers are all sharing a Mini on route to Scotland, Ed to visit his father and Jess's family to take Tanzie to her math exam. There's many trials and tribulations along the way and a long road to go to get to a happy place for all five of them,Yes I included Norman the dog because he's such a bit part of the story. Thrown in for good mix is a horrible,violent family on the estate where they live who are out to hurt them.

I loved the way Jess would do anything for her family. I like Ed, he found himself on the wrong side of the law after being conned by a woman he was trying to help and yet he still found it in his heart to help Jess.
Jess's ex, Marty made me angry, especially as Jess had been making excuses for him to the children. She was having to struggle while he was having a nice life.

I've read a few books by Jo Jo Moyes and this book is so different. It is more of a comedy although I did shed a few tears as is usual with Jo Jo's books. I could see this book as a TV drama/ comedy, it would work very well. If you're a romantic at heart like me but like a few chuckles too then you'll love this book.
This has turned out to be a shorter review than usual as I don't want to give away the main part of the story, I hate spoilers,don't you?

One plus One Amazon.co.uk 
On sale from 27th February although there is a free sampler to download on Amazon. 





2 comments:

  1. Ooh, this sounds great, Anne! I wish I didn't still have so many books to read at the moment. I really have to resist until I've got through more of the pile! But I'll be looking for this one when I've got the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the days Val when I didn't have enough books to satisfy me,not anymore.

    ReplyDelete